
On Friday we attended a workshop for adoptive couples at the LDS Family Services office. Since we decided to adopt I have actively tried to learn more. I took time off work during the day to attend the meeting this Tilane. That is something I only do for important events. As I sat there at the beginning of the meeting I felt overwhelmed by what we are contemplating. We have decided to take an unknown infant into our home with open arms and the process is so very demanding of me emotionally and demanding of my time. I continued to feel overwhelmed until the adoption facilitator began speaking of the love that we will feel for the mother of the child as we get to know her. She will become a loved part of our extended family. This idea brought tears to my eyes. I felt the warmth of the Spirit confirming that Tilane and I are following the will of our Heavenly Father for our family. The child will have none of the biologic connections that we usually associate with family. The one thing in common that we do have is that we are both offspring of our loving Heavenly Father – we are family. This will be a tremendous journey for Tilane and I. This journey has already helped me experience love in ways that I have not before. So many questions lie ahead. I have learned from the past that when I follow the Spirit on a journey the questions will become confidence. I don’t know all of the reasons that we have been inspired to follow this course, but I know it will be good for our family - including my parents and siblings. Most especially a young child of God will be blessed by the love that he or she will experience as a member of the Bishop and Lawlor families.