Monday, November 9, 2009

Cubs

Caleb is very excited about Cubs. He is an extremely bright child with a tremendous internal drive to achieve. His Akela said that in his three years he hasn’t seen another child so motivated to succeed in Cubs. Akela gave Caleb his new uniform on Sunday. He is excited to wear it tomorrow for the Remembrance Day assembly at school. He will get his first badge on Wednesday and he continues to try to complete new tasks for badges. On the weekend he told me that he knows why they get badges. He figures they get badges to motivate young people to do good things, like help around the house. He is exactly right. The program is designed to help young people develop into contributing members of society. I don’t think Caleb would struggle at that, but I do think Scouting is going to provide Caleb with a lot of good experiences. He is such a good example of ambition and goodness.

When we arrived to Kelowna we learned that the Stake President (Orlean’s brother-in-law) had issued a challenge to read the Book of Mormon before the next Stake Conference. Stake Conference is this next weekend. Tilane and I both accepted the challenge. Although I started the challenge I was able to complete it in the allotted time. When I read the Book of Mormon I am reminded to be a better person. The examples of Moroni, Ammon, Enos and others remind how to be a better follower of Christ. In turn they remind me how to be a better husband and father. I am grateful to my mom and dad for helping me to learn gospel principles. I am especially grateful for my mom holding true to the gospel when we needed it the most. Her example has helped me to become a better parent. Her example has helped me to stay true when it is not easy.