Monday, April 13, 2009

Deep Thinker

Caleb is a young kid (seven years old), but he thinks thoroughly about life. It is truly amazing. He obviously understands a family tree, because recently he asked about Heavenly Father’s father. I don’t know how his thinks of things like that. It makes it challenging as a father, because he asks so many questions to which I can only answer, “I don’t know.” I think he is probably much brighter than I am. In his most recent report card his teacher described him as a “deep thinker.” It is a very good description of a part of his personality.

Tilane pointed out to me yesterday that I am much harder on Caleb than I am on the other two children. I think she is right. I don’t know why I do that. I think it is partly because I am demanding of myself and see him as a “mini-me.” We butt heads at times and I don’t thinks it is healthy, but in those moments I am not sure what to do. I did recently have one breakthrough when there was a confrontation between Caleb and Matthias over a Nintendo game. I handled it with patience and reason. The outcome was good and I didn’t butt heads with Caleb, although he was very defiant.

Caleb needs independence. I need to understand how to better allow him independence and at the same time give him structure to develop his ability to think and develop his intelligence.